History of Petrie

About Petrie Catholic In 1951 Archbishop Duhig purchased ‘Murrumba Homestead’ from the Petrie family with the intention of one day building a church and school.  

Fr tom Guy was appointed Parish Priest of Aspley / Zillmere this also included Bald Hills where the parishioners would travel each Sunday to mass.  Fr Guy saw the need for a Church to be built at Petrie and would travel every second Sunday to say mass in Bray Hall.  Which became a weekly event over time and the plans started.   

In 1963 as the building of the school had not commenced Fr Guy purchased a small house from Aspley and moved it to Petrie site, and was to be used as a temporary classroom. The Holy Spirit nuns from Aspley would travel daily to the school.

The first church/school building was blessed and opened by Archbishop Duhig in September 1964 and on 15 November 1964 Fr Guy announced the formation of Our Lady of the Way Parish, which comprised of Petrie, Bald Hills and Dayboro.  The first parish priest was Fr Richard Wilson.

Parish Priests

Fr Richard Wilson     1964 – 1968
Fr Denis Long    1968 – 1979
Fr Leo Skelly     1979 -  1989
Fr John Manthy    1989 -  1993
Fr Peter McCartin     1993 -  2013
Fr Dave O’Connor     2013 – 2014
Fr Johnbosco Chima Ofor   2014 - present


Assistant Priest

Fr Brian Moynihan
Fr Leo Simmonis
Fr Martin Kenny
Fr Conn Busser
Fr Paul Byrne

 

brisbane-archdiocese-logo bnrd-logo centacare-logo Catholic-Leader-logo

Our Mission

Petrie Catholic Community is a dynamic, growing Christian church committed to bringing the message of Jesus Christ to all.

Dayboro Church

Petrie Catholic
 
Phone: 07 3285 6759
Fax: 07 3285 6666
Address: 135 McKenzie Street, Dayboro, Queensland, 4521.

Petrie Church

Petrie Catholic
 
Phone: 07 3285 6759
Fax: 07 3285 6666
Address: 38 Armstrong St Petrie Brisbane, Queensland, 4502.
You are here: Home About History of Petrie